Last week, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) was forced to recall batches of Lion Marked eggs. In 2017, the FSA stated that salmonella had been eradicated in Lion Marked eggs and they were safe to be eaten raw or lightly cooked. Despite this, it’s been reported that over 100 people have been poisoned in the last three years after eating them.
Salmonella is a bacteria and, if a person gets infected, the symptoms include fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. The bacteria are present in the intestines and feces of chickens, and can infiltrate the eggs when chickens sit on them, before the egg is fully formed.
- Wash hands after handling eggs
- Store eggs in a refrigerator away from ready to eat foods.
- Cook eggs until both the yolk and white are firm.
- Food containing eggs should be eaten quickly.
- Food containing eggs should not be at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Ensure foods that contain raw or lightly cooked egg are made only with pasteurised eggs.